The American Enterprise Summer Institute brings together 25 select college undergraduates for an opportunity unlike any other in Washington: a monthlong, fully funded experience learning the principles of public policy analysis and discussing liberty, individual opportunity and free enterprise.
Summer Institute students spend a month learning from and working with AEI scholars and fellows. But these aren’t typical think tankers. AEI researchers uniquely understand Washington, having spent time as political appointees, executive branch consultants, journalists, professors, and writers. No other program has a core faculty with such diverse and distinguished backgrounds.
At the end of the summer, students leave understanding why—and how—AEI scholars think like they do. And they leave prepared to make a difference, as more effective intellectual and practical supporters of liberty, individual opportunity, and free enterprise in America and around the world.
The 2013 Summer Institute will take place in Washington, DC, from June 16 to July 13.
What topics are covered?
The four-week intensive course, “Introduction to National Policy,” will have two parts:
Foreign and defense policy. Week 1, with defense experts Gary Schmitt and Thomas Donnelly, will explore the principles of democratic statecraft, American strategic culture, and current issues in national security policy. Students will also take a guided “staff ride” to Gettysburg National Battlefield. During Week 2, students will apply the basic theories of war and military decision-making with military historian and intellectual architect of the Iraq “surge,” Frederick Kagan.
Economics. Weeks 3 and 4 will look at the way markets work and the application of market analysis to public policy analysis. Instructor Sita Slavov (former senior economist, White House Council of Academic Advisers) will walk you through market dynamics and the interaction between public policy and the private sector.
Students will also participate in a series of conversations with leading policy experts and opinion-makers. Summer Institute guest speakers include:
- Arthur Brooks, AEI President; Author of “The Road to Freedom: How to Win the Fight for Free Enterprise”
- Tim Carney, AEI Visiting Fellow; Senior Political Columnist for the Washington Examiner
- Kevin Hassett, AEI Senior Fellow and Director of Economic Policy Studies
- Ramesh Ponnuru, AEI Visiting Fellow; Senior Editor of National Review; Bloomberg Columnist
- Michael Rubin, AEI Scholar; Former Pentagon official
- Paul Wolfowitz, AEI Scholar; Former President of the World Bank and Deputy Secretary of Defense
- More speakers to be confirmed.