Too large to be left out

csp / Shutterstock.com

Article Highlights

  • We can't solve our budget problems just by soaking the rich or by gutting programs for the poor

    Tweet This

  • Any sensible budget solution will require us to cut spending on middle-class entitlement programs

    Tweet This

  • If we as a society like big government, then the broadly defined middle class should be willing to chip in

    Tweet This

The fiscal future remains highly uncertain as President Obama and Congressional Republicans scramble to strike a compromise on the budget. But one thing is certain: any fair and growth-friendly solution to our budget crisis will leave less money in the pockets of the middle class through tax increases, entitlement cuts or both. With the two political parties classifying everyone except the poor and the richest 2 percent as middle class, the group is simply too large to be left out of the fiscal solution.
"If we as a society like big government, then the broadly defined middle class should be willing to chip in."

To begin, any sensible budget solution will require us to cut spending on middle-class entitlement programs like Medicare and Social Security. There is widespread agreement that these programs are on an unsustainable path, and the sooner we take steps to bring them under control the better. While that's technically not a tax increase, cuts in entitlement spending will reduce the disposable incomes of middle-class Americans in much the same way as tax increases.

Political realities also make clear that a budget deal is likely to involve higher revenue. A pro-growth approach to raising revenue would spread the burden over both middle- and high-income households. Confining the entire tax increase to the top 2 percent will require marginal tax rate increases on the investment, entrepreneurship and innovation that drive long-run growth. In contrast, reducing tax expenditures – like the mortgage interest deduction and the child tax credit – is good for growth. But reducing these sorts of tax expenditures in a way that raises substantial revenue will require an increased burden on the middle class.

Moreover, there's a serious political problem with allowing 98 percent of American households to vote for higher benefits for themselves while asking the remaining 2 percent to foot the bill. Personally, I like my government small. But if we as a society like big government, then the broadly defined middle class should be willing to chip in. Indeed, the large welfare states of Western Europe are funded by high taxes across the board, not just on the rich.

We can't solve our budget problems just by soaking the rich or by gutting programs for the poor. The broad middle class will have to step up and be part of the solution. It's not an idea that wins votes, but it's the truth.

Also Visit
AEIdeas Blog The American Magazine
About the Author

 

Sita Nataraj
Slavov

What's new on AEI

AEI Election Watch 2014: What will happen and why it matters
image A nation divided by marriage
image Teaching reform
image Socialist party pushing $20 minimum wage defends $13-an-hour job listing
AEI on Facebook
Events Calendar
  • 27
    MON
  • 28
    TUE
  • 29
    WED
  • 30
    THU
  • 31
    FRI
Monday, October 27, 2014 | 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
State income taxes and the Supreme Court: Maryland Comptroller v. Wynne

Please join AEI for a panel discussion exploring these and other questions about this crucial case.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 | 9:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
For richer, for poorer: How family structures economic success in America

Join Lerman, Wilcox, and a group of distinguished scholars and commentators for the release of Lerman and Wilcox’s report, which examines the relationships among and policy implications of marriage, family structure, and economic success in America.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 | 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
The 7 deadly virtues: 18 conservative writers on why the virtuous life is funny as hell

Please join AEI for a book forum moderated by Last and featuring five of these leading conservative voices. By the time the forum is over, attendees may be on their way to discovering an entirely different — and better — moral universe.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 | 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
A nuclear deal with Iran? Weighing the possibilities

Join us, as experts discuss their predictions for whether the United States will strike a nuclear deal with Iran ahead of the November 24 deadline, and the repercussions of the possible outcomes.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 | 5:00 p.m. – 6:15 p.m.
The forgotten depression — 1921: The crash that cured itself

Please join Author James Grant and AEI senior economists for a discussion about Grant's book, "The Forgotten Depression: 1921: The Crash That Cured Itself" (Simon & Schuster, 2014).

No events scheduled this day.
No events scheduled this day.
No events scheduled this day.
No events scheduled today.
No events scheduled this day.