Editor’s note: The value of China’s overseas investment and construction combined since 2005 is approaching $2 trillion. In 2018, state-owned enterprise investment and construction receded, health care drew new attention, and the number of countries in the Belt and Road Initiative soared. The US has restricted China’s technology acquisitions and other countries may follow.
The China Global Investment Tracker is the only comprehensive data set covering China’s global investment and construction, which are documented both separately and together. Inaugurated in 2005, the CGIT now includes 3100 large transactions across energy, transportation, real estate, and other industries, as well as 280 troubled transactions. The full list, with the amount, Chinese parent company, host country, and sector, is available for public use with the proper citation. The tracker is published by the American Enterprise Institute.
The interactive map filters investments and construction by sector, region, country, and year.
Worldwide Chinese Investments & Construction
- Chinese investment in the United States
- Chinese Investment: State-Owned Enterprises Stop Globalizing, for the Moment, Derek Scissors, AEI
- China’s Global Investment: Neither the US nor Belt and Road, Derek Scissors, AEI
- Private Data, Not Private Firms: The Real Issues in Chinese Investment, Derek Scissors, AEI
- CFIUS, Chinese Investment, and How to Improve Both, Derek Scissors, AEI
- China’s Outward Investment Explodes, and Peaks? Derek Scissors, AEI
- More work by Derek Scissors
THE CHINA GLOBAL INVESTMENT TRACKER IS PUBLISHED BY
THE AMERICAN ENTERPRISE INSTITUTE AND THE HERITAGE FOUNDATION.
HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE DATA? Contact Derek Scissors by email or phone at 202-862-7168.