Political Report, May 2011: The Latest Polls on Obama, the Military, and the Economy
May's Political Report examines American public opinion on a variety of topics now in the news:
- The military is the top institution in American life. Three quarters give it high marks; 11 percent give Congress high marks.
- Most Americans give the military the lion’s share of credit for the mission to kill Osama bin Ladan.
- The Bin Laden Bump: Obama’s ratings are up. His handling of the economy isn’t.
- Large numbers think we are in a depression or a recession.
- Gas prices continue to drive negative assessments of the economy.
- Does Obama deserve re-election? We examine four major pollsters’ questions.
- Americans on the move: Geographically, the U.S. population is moving south and west. Most Americans live close to where they were born, and 42 percent have a valid passport.