David Valdez/US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- The US is the world leader in distortionary housing policy interventions
- Relationship between market value based on comparable sales analysis and rental income should always be taken into account
- Return property appraising to its core function--assisting lenders in determining the max amount they may be lent on a property
- The relationship between market value based on comparable sales analysis and rental income should always be taken into account.
- In order to not start with the answer (sales price) this requires reporting a sales price range.
- The comparable selection process must be transparent to the users.
- This process could be improved by identifying all appropriate comparables and using statistical techniques to help the appraiser select and reconcile all appropriate comparables.
- A collateral experat at the ledner should determine loan terms based on a review and analysis of market and stabilized values.
- Only by taking steps such as these can property appraising return to its status as a profession and to its core function: assisting lenders in determining the maximum amount that may be prudently lent on a property.