Bret Swanson is a visiting fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, where he focuses on the impact of technology on the US economy, telecommunications, and internet regulation. He is concurrently president of Entropy Economics LLC, and a scholar at the US Chamber of Commerce Foundation.
Mr. Swanson began his career as an aide to former Sen. Richard Lugar (R-IN) and served as an economic analyst to Jack Kemp at Empower America. He later advised technology investors as executive editor of the Gilder Technology Report and directed the Center for Global Innovation at the Progress & Freedom Foundation.
A frequent contributor to Forbes and The Hill, Mr. Swanson has also been published in The Wall Street Journal, RealClearMarkets.com, and Computerworld, among others.
He has a bachelor’s degree in economics from Princeton University.
- President, Entropy Economics LLC, 2009–present
- Trustee and Vice Chair, Indiana Public Retirement System, 2009–present
- Fellow, US Chamber of Commerce Foundation, 2005–present
- Senior Fellow and Director, Center for Global Innovation, Progress & Freedom Foundation, 2007–09
- Senior Fellow, Technology Policy, Discovery Institute, 2003–07
- Executive Editor, Gilder Technology Report, 2002–07
- Technology Analyst, Gilder Technology Report, 2000–02
- Economic Analyst, Empower America, 1998–00
- Research Analyst, Sagamore Associates, 1997–98
A.B., economics, Princeton University