Desmond Lachman joined AEI after serving as a managing director and chief emerging market economic strategist at Salomon Smith Barney. He previously served as deputy director in the International Monetary Fund’s (IMF) Policy Development and Review Department and was active in staff formulation of IMF policies. Mr. Lachman has written extensively on the global economic crisis, the U.S. housing market bust, the U.S. dollar, and the strains in the euro area. At AEI, Mr. Lachman is focused on the global macroeconomy, global currency issues, and the multilateral lending agencies.
- Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University, 2010
- Adjunct Professor, Johns Hopkins University, 2009
- Managing Director and Chief Emerging Market Economic Strategist, Salomon Smith Barney, 1996-2003
- Deputy Director, Policy Development and Review Department, International Monetary Fund, 1994-96
- Senior Adviser, European Department, 1990-94; Division Chief, Western Hemisphere Department, 1984-90, International Monetary Fund
Ph.D., economics, Cambridge University
B.A., University of Witwatersrand